samedi 18 mars 2017

Sequentia Legenda Interview by Martin De La Woods

Sequentia Legenda Interview

Sequentia Legenda Synthfest 2016 Nantes
Sequentia Legenda Synthfest 2016 Nantes

You have made it no secret that your music reflects the Berlin School sound especially the productions of Klaus Schulze. When did you first come across this form of music and why do you prefer to emulate this style rather than other genres?

SL: "The comparison with Klaus Schulze is often referred to, which quite satisfies me.
Klaus Schulze
was a pioneer with a new musical approach. I appreciate his work. He is without any doubt one of the symbolic figures of Berliner Schule, and he has been a true revelation for me.


It all started while listening to Klaus Schulze's 'Mirage' album, when I was fifteen. I instantly fell in love with this music. That's how my passion for Berlin School developed. I then began to play on synthesizers.

Cosmic Music is a passion. It's a true delight for me to compose and my mind is out of this world during a composition session. I like to share my emotions in my music, give a little bit of dream, allow the listener to relax and escape this world in turmoil where everything goes too fast and where standardization reigns."



Considering the size of the synthesizers and the complexity of creating a basic pattern in the 70's the time saving of soft synths is probably no more applicable than here. To re-create the style do you use hardware, soft synths or a combination of the two?

I first owned a number of analogic synthesizers (ARP Odyssey, Korg PS3200, Polymoog, MS20 Korg + SQ10, Crumar Multimans S, Oberheim Two Voices). Then, when MIDI burst out, I purchased a few digital machines (DSS1 Korg, TG77 Yamaha, D110 Roland, KM1 Kawai, Microwave Waldorf, JD800 Roland). And now, I got only virtual synthesizers.


SL: "The Arturia V Collection is a working tool I often use and the Minimoog V is without a doubt one of my favourite VSTs. After collecting many hardware synthesizers, my current compositions are now built with VSTs. I might buy hardware material again in the future though, especially if I have to deal with stage performance."






Your track 'AU REVOIR' appeared on the compilation album 'Legacy and Evolution: A tribute to Edgar Froese' what did it mean to you to be a part of this tribute to the man who stayed with Tangerine Dream through various changes in the line up till his demise?

SL: "I was honoured and fortunate enough to have Rebekka Hilgraves propose me to be part of her project dedicated to the memory of Edgar Froese. Her project was almost over when I was approached and I had only a few weeks left to get to the final version of the composition that was to become 'AU REVOIR'.

I felt the urge to pay a tribute to one of the forerunners of Berliner Schule. Edgar Froese was instrumental in the development of electronic music. Many thanks to him."




To read the rest of this interview here

Thanks to Martin De La Woods for this interview :)

▶  AU REVOIR on Bandcamp

▶  Sequentia Legenda Discography

▶  AU REVOIR on Youtube

▶  AU REVOIR on Facebook

▶  Sequentia Legenda Reviews and Interviews

Sequentia Legenda Youtube Playslist Reviews/Interviews/PodCasting 

▶  Sequentia Legenda in Nantes (SynthFest 2016)

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire